Good ‘ol Saturn v2…

Well, it keeps throwing another code, and this one point to a dirty or dead EGR valve. The magic of Google says a good cleaning with throttle body cleaner should do it. First picture is the removed valve…

These next two show soaking the valve and then cleaning with a toothbrush…

Blizzard…

I didn’t post pictures of the actual damage to my wife’s car, but these pictures show the end of the day of the storm after I took my wife’s car to work because of how snowy it already was at ~0530. It was a snow day for school, and I finally made it all the way to work, getting rear ended on the way in, and then they sent us home after only 2 hours…I was not happy…

Good ‘ol Saturn…

My Saturn SL2 has been throwing a couple codes here and there for a while, and the most likely culprit is this O2 sensor. It’s an easy fix, about $25 in parts, and easily accessible on the front side of the engine.

Sensor along with some anti-seize for the installation. Next picture shows the location of where the sensor was removed from using a healthy dose of PB Blaster

Next is a comparison of the old and new sensor…

And finally the sensor reinstalled…

Pretty easy in the end. Solved that issue. I wouldn’t exactly say I’m a car guy, but when I can google something, find a good video, and the part is fairly cheap, I’ll give it a try.

Fixing a Lamp…

My daughter’s lamp stopped working a little while ago, and it’s a fairly nice touch dimmer lamp from Pottery Barn Kids. Shouldn’t be too hard to fix, right? Nope, turns out the controller they used is fairly specific in size and specs, and there is basically only one place to buy them from. Someone on eBay, who I’m fairly sure ran into the same issue and discovered that the only place to buy the controllers was direct from the manufacturer in China, in bulk wholesale quantity. So now he sells them on eBay, and I bought 4.

Here’s the parts…

And here’s the finished result…

Here’s reassembling the base containing the controller…

Love Shack…

This is the latest incarnation of a book nook I build for the classroom of my older daughter’s teacher. She wanted a cozy nook for kids to read in, and this sort of faux building is what I went to school for. She updates it occasionally for certain units/lessons  or seasonal themes. This was for Valentines day.

Pretty Gravel…

It may sound ridiculous, but getting this gravel spread around the barn was so huge. It will keep dust down in the dry season, and allow better access during subsequent muddy hell days. Here’s couple angles of the “finished” gravel project.

We laid down I think it was 6-foot wide weed cloth under the gravel, and as I got better at driving the skid steer, we didn’t have to do many wheel barrow loads. AdventuresInLunch.org did the majority of the fine level spreading by hand, but I was able to get most of the bulk fairly close to the needed areas.

This was our reward for our hard work, a day of fun at Heavenly Resort.

No, Really, More Barn Stuff…

Ok, here’s some actual barn stuff, I promise.

This was the tracked skid steer we rented from the local Home Depot. We had a lot of work ahead of us, and I managed to single handedly end the drought in CA. Well, it just felt like that, but there were several days of rain ahead of my arrival, and it rained through our first day of planning and ordering materials, and well into our actual work day. It was miserable, but the fine folks at AdventuresInLunch.org don’t take a day off when labor flies in from out of state.

Here’s the Head Goat getting the first shot at operating the rental toy.

Here I am, clearing around the barn, preparing for the gravel. I spend several hours in that thing, and had no idea how tired I was until I got out.

And here’s the truckload of gravel, the special on the wall of the landscape supply place is what we got.  If I remember correctly, it was a special deal on a full truck load 13-yards or so for the price of 10, delivered. For reference, that’s approximately a metric butt ton.